Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Our First Fun Day

Alright, it wasn't our first fun day, but it's the first one I'm writing about for the blog.

We started out by going to Dante's Kitchen for brunch. The fabulous Gruel for Dinner gave me a gift certificate to Dante's for my birthday and we had some left on it after the fabulous dinner we had there, so off we went. I'm no food critic, but I can tell you the food was as delicious the second time as it was the first.

We started out with these house made buttermilk biscuits that were accompanied by house made butter, house made pear jam and house made plum jam. Are you sensing a theme?


Then, I had the "Pot Likka". The menu's description of the pot likka is as follows: "beef pan drippings with grits and eggs". Now, under normal circumstances I don't eat meat at restaurants because who the hell knows where it comes from. However, Dante's only serves delicious, small farm meats, so I went right ahead. I am not even going to discuss the fact that I ate something called drippings, but I can say this: it was gooooooooooooooooooooooooood!!


The mister had steak and eggs, which was described on the menu thusly (that's right, I said thusly, deal with it): "grilled tenderloin with poached eggs topped with bearnaise sauce and served over hash browns". The mister housed that shiz, so I think he liked it.


With our bellies all full up, we trotted off to the monthly Freret Market. The market has crafts, food and flea market type vendors and of course as everywhere else in New Orleans, great music.

We bought some totally luxe lemongrass soap from this guy:




and I coveted these beautiful skulls, I wanted them all:



We wandered about at the market, shopping, listening to music and cuddling pitbull puppies at the Dogs of the 9th Ward tent.

As we pulled out of our parking spot outside the market we had our very first random run in with friends. Our friend Nick and his son Nico pulled up right next to us and invited us over to hang out and since I can't get enough of that sweet Nico, we accepted. You can see why I'm so in love with him:



After I played with Nico for awhile and Nick and the mister drank a beer, we went home and napped.

After our late afternoon nap and an uneventful dinner at home, I headed out to hear some music. As I am sure you all know, there is no shortage of AMAZING music here. When I want to go out and hear some of that amazing music I like to sit down at my computer and look at calendars on local club websites and then check out the artists' websites to hear clips to decide who I want to go see. On this particular night, I found John Boutte playing at d.b.a. The cover was a whopping $5 and it was one of the best live shows I've ever seen.

The videos aren't great because I took them on my phone in a dark club, but you get the idea. That John Boutte is amazing and I would definitely recommend seeing him if you get the chance, especially if you are in New Orleans visiting me!!!







There are rumors of a trip to Alabama this weekend, so stay tuned for more.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, Mola, you make me want to move to NOLA. And, oddly, eat "beef pan drippings."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds incredible! Although what I grew up knowing as pot likka was the juice from cooking the collards and ham all day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So your whole purpose in blogging is to make your VT friends weep with envy? So be it. (Keep it up!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @GFD - please do not fight that urge.
    @Ebiddie - when you come down here to visit perhaps you can whip up some ham and collards and then we can compare the two varieties of dirppins'.
    @Cheryl - My real hope is to get you all down here for a visit with the posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your birthday NEVER ends! I want to move there too.

    ReplyDelete